Serious Box Jellyfish Sting on Koh Kood
Lucky to survive, a 2 year old girl is the latest victim of severe multi-tentacle box jellyfish envenomation in the Gulf of Thailand, this time on the small resort island of Koh Kood.
The images show extensive stings to the legs and hand of the girl who according to Thai officials suffered cardiac arrest and was treated by a group of Thai military personnel who were immediately on hand with CPR then application of vinegar. The victim was then rushed by speed boat to Trat where she was hospitalized for 3-4 days.
The incident occurred on 7 December, 2012 off the main pier of the island.
Neighbouring Koh Mak has installed numerous first aid vinegar stations to deal with this exact scenario. This system has already proved successful just weeks prior to this Koh Kood incident when a French girl was stung on Koh Mak and quickly treated with vinegar from a nearby pole.
Vinegar stations are not installed on Koh Kood and vinegar was not readily available and applied as rapidly in this instance.
Various people and organizations on Koh Kood and Koh Chang are calling for vinegar stations to be installed on their islands. As is evidenced here with this poor girl who was fortunate to have survived, the sooner the better!
Postscript: Koh Kood has responded quickly with the installation of safety vinegar poles and signs on the island .. read about it here: